Introducing a puppy at home is a very pleasing thing, many people wonder how they will be able to introduce a new puppy dog at home especially if the old dogs at home are dominant. If you notice that the dog at home don’t like other dogs when they meet at parking places, friend’s house or on the paths while taking a walk, its most probably that your dog will not also like a new friend when you bring him home. In this article we will give you tips on how to introduce a puppy to dominant or aggressive dogs at home.
Before you bring your new puppy at home, ensure that:
- Put away all old toys and chews that the old dog used to play with and chew.
- Purchase new separate food dishes to prevent aggressive possession.
- Create a space at home where the two dogs can get away from the other one.
- Ensure both dogs are up to date with their vaccinations.
At the introduction:
- The old dog considers the house where you live his also, so during introduction one has to find a neutral place like a nearby open field to introduce both of them to each other so as to prevent territorial dispute.
- Ensure you put both dogs on a leash, let one person hold the puppy leash as you hold the old dog leash. Do not restrict them, hold the leash loosely and let them sniff each other.
- This initial introduction is relatively very quick and fast.
While at home:
- For the first three weeks, ensure that you monitor them keenly to ensure that they get on well and both are comfortable with each other. Establish a routine for your puppy as you move on with the old dog’s routine also.
- Ensure you observe the body language of your old dog while he or she is interacting with the new dog at home. The following are various signs of discomfort on the dogs;
- Raised fur on the back or neck.
- Display of teeth.
The following are the things to observe while trying to introduce your new dog:
- You should not allow your old dog to bully the new one and vice versa.
- Do not allow the dogs to fight.
- Allow them to play together while being monitored.
- Feed them using separate bowls.
Benefits of getting a puppy with an older dog
There are many benefits of getting a companion canine friend for an old dog:
- The two of them will groom each other and provide friendship and company when you are never around. Both will play together and exercise their bodies thus they old dog will have less effect of arthritis and other aging problems as he will be active throughout, the old dog will help the puppy learn the rules of the house.
How do you stop a dog from being aggressive to other dogs?
- You should be calm and decisive. Dogs are very sensitive to what their owner is feeling, it picks his or her emotions and reflects them very fast. When meeting up with other friends with dogs, one might get tensed and stressed of what his or her dog can do, the dog picks up the tension hence triggers aggression.
- Teach your dog avoidance. While walking on the paths, one might come into contact with other dogs, you should not put attention on the dog or the owner either. Keep walking and your eyes forward, this will help your dog learn that he should ignore or avoid other dogs he meets up on way rather than confronting them.
- Create space. While walking and you see another dog coming the same way, you can block your dog or hide him in a nearby area. This will help avoid head to head confrontation.
why is my dog getting more aggressive?
The following are reasons why a dog might act aggressively:
i. Illness or injury
The health state of a dog can make him aggressive. A dog that does not become aggressive might suddenly show signs of aggression like growling, snapping, or biting, this might be triggered by sickness.
Pain is a common cause of aggression, some of the causes of pain are; arthritis, bone fractures and internal injuries among others.
Some dogs become aggressive when they are in danger and do not find a way to escape thus become aggressive as a way to defend themselves.
iii. Resource guarding
A dog becomes aggressive when defending his resources, if one tries to approach his or her chew toy or the food bowl, the dog becomes aggressive.
Check out How to give a puppy bath